The 100 Foot Journey selected by Book Of The Month Club

Countdown to Scribner's July 6th release

Scribner recently informed me that they accepted a deal for The Hundred-Foot Journey to be a Book Of The Month Club “Alternate Selection” in January, 2011. From what I understand, the famous club is an umbrella group for several different types of fee-paying/discounting book clubs. Specifically, The Hundred-Foot Journey will be available to the “Quality Paperback Book Club” members, the Literary Guild members and the BOMC2.

This is all rather mystifying to me, but the interest by the BOMC has created real excitement over at Simon & Schuster (Scribner’s parent). Whitney Frick, my editor at Scribner, says that “A book club deal for a debut novel is unheard of these days and we’re pumped.”

Apparently, one of the many intangible benefits of the deal will be the BOMC’s marketing push in January, 2011, coming at a traditionally quiet point in between the release of the book’s hardback and paperback editions. The BOMC deal will in effect ensure that The Hundred-Foot Journey maintains a head of steam from Scribner’s hardback release in the summer of 2010, to its paperback release in the summer of 2011.

All sounds vaguely promising – but not enough to calm my pre-publication jitters. But that comes with the territory. Wouldn’t trade this journey that’s unfolding for anything else in the world. It’s a small miracle.

Tags: , ,

11 Responses to “The 100 Foot Journey selected by Book Of The Month Club”

1. Rose Marie Morse says:

I am delighted. This endorsement keeps the book alive and puts it in front of all BOMC subcribers. Bravo Richard!

2. admin says:

Thank you. Would love to take credit but it seems to be a gift from the gods. Or the result of Scribner hustling.

3. Chuck Gupta says:

Richard was able to bring out the best of a restauranteur psyche, no matter in India or France. Hailing and raised in Bombay I felt I was in the midst of all the happenings and idiosyncrasies described so candidly in his book. Bravo Richard!!

4. admin says:

Thank you Chuck. Perhaps you can figure out a clever way The Hundred Foot Journey and your friends at Saffron can do something together. Best, R

5. aks says:

Just heard snippets of the interview on the Dianne Rehm show, and I was truly impressed.

The first thing I did when got to my computer was to send an excited email to my wife saying that she has to check out this book about three things that she loves: France, India, and food!

I can’t wait to read it myself (and, honestly, I don’t read too many novels).

Good luck to you, and thank you for the gift!

6. admin says:

AKS – I am deeply moved by your email. Thank you. Hope the book brings you and your wife some joy. Best, Richard

7. Stacey Kripke says:

I have chosen the 100 ft. Journey for our book club to discuss. I am hoping to find readers questions for the group, and information critical to it’s appreciation.
    Can you help?
    Thanks,
    Stacey

8. admin says:

Dear Stacey – Thanks very much for picking my little book for your group. I hope it brings some pleasure. Here is a link to Simon & Schuster’s Reader’s Group Guide: http://books.simonandschuster.com/Hundred-Foot-Journey/Richard-C-Morais/9781439165645/reading_group_guide

And here are some interviews I did that might trigger debate/questions:

Have fun! And, again, thanks. Richard

9. I absolutely loved your book. Can you confirm that the scene in Harrods is acurate ie ‘Ostrich from Australia’…here we have emus, but the South Africans farm ostrich and perhaps export to Harrods.

10. buying books says:

buying books…

[…]The 100 Foot Journey selected by Book Of The Month Club | Richard C. Morais[…]…

11. yuri manga says: